Ending Extreme Global Poverty with One Day’s Wages
I like Eugene Cho. Apart from being a good friend and amazing blogger, he has a huge passion for ending extreme poverty. In fact, he and his wife have put up their entire salary this year to launch an organization called One Day’s Wages.
One Day’s Wages (ODW) is an international grassroots movement dedicated to ending extreme global poverty. ODW promotes awareness, invites giving, and supports sustainable relief through partnerships, especially with smaller organizations in developing regions. It exists to inspire millions of people to simply give their “One Day’s Wages” to fight extreme global poverty.
100% of public donations will go directly to fund grants, projects, & organizations that are doing amazing work amongst the poorest of the poor.
I love One Day’s Wages for several reasons:
- Anyone can participate. It doesn’t matter if you make $1/day or a million. 1 day’s wage is less than 0.4% of your annual income. It’s doable!
- $45 can pay annual school tuition for one child.
- $20 can build a well to provide clean water for one person for 20 years.
- $10 can purchase a bed net to help prevent malaria.
- This organization seeks to partner with existing works. Instead of competing with other organizations, One Day’s Wages seeks to collaborate and benefit organizations that already work in the field on issues of extreme poverty.
- It’s important to actually do something about extreme poverty. It’s not enough just to talk about the issue nor practice distant compassion by only tweeting or joining a cause on Facebook. Here is a practical opportunity for you to get involved. Yes, get involved!
- Organizational Integrity – If there’s anything I know about the team leading this organization, it’s that they are transparent and live with deep integrity. This organization is being birthed at the cost of much personal sacrifice. They do it because they know it’s right. If this wasn’t the case, there’s no way I would have joined their advisory board for its development. I support this effort with all my heart. I think it will change the world for many.
With over 1 million (that’s right) people already on their facebook page (www.fightglobalpoverty.com) and several thousand visiting their new main website (www.onedayswages.org), there is a significant network to build this movement through.
Will you join the movement?
Check out the following video of Eugene sharing his heart about ODW: