The Power of Pause
Life in our world today is undoubtedly overwhelming. The increasing number of tasks, responsibilities, and expectations put on individuals by our culture (and ourselves) can often crush the possibility of actually enjoying life; the very thing many are working so hard to accomplish. Ironic.
The truth of the matter is that no one will ever have “enough time” to do everything their heart desires. Period. Yes, we need to get over the omni-mentality that many of us carry. Trying to do everything while saying yes to everyone will kill you…maybe even literally.
All of us need moments just to pause. I’m not referring to vacations, but simply moments. (Quite honestly, many people even vacation hard with very little flex to actually enjoy time away. Often, it’s more task management rather than relaxation.)
Take a few moments throughout each day to slow down your body and mind. It can be 10 minutes or it can be 2 minutes. We all need this. Don’t answer email, close your computer, and step outside. Take time to breathe intentionally. When’s the last time you thought about your breathing? Silly, but powerful.
Here are some ways I’ve incorporated pause into my life over the years:
- Shut the office door, turn off the lights, and close your eyes for 5 minutes. (I know what you’re thinking. You’ll fall asleep because you’re so tired. If you’re that tired, you really need to rearrange your life. Let’s compromise, keep your eyes open.)
- Go to the car for a few minutes and just sit. Open the windows and sit.
- Stop by a park for 10 minutes during lunch when someone cancels an appointment. Don’t fill your calendar with another appointment. It’s okay. The world will function without you.
- Put on a headset and listen to a favorite song, preferably a song that reminds you of why you do what you do.
- Take a 5 minute walk around where you work. Smile a little. It’s going to be okay.
Simple moments of pause will make a world of difference.
Now…back to the chaos 🙂 until we pause again… see you later today.