An Invitation from the Idea Camp
Several months ago, I initiated (with a TON of help from friends) a hybrid conference called “the Idea Camp” (www.theideacamp.com). The idea was simple… create a free conference that would help people with ideas move collaboratively towards implementation. The hope was to create a conference where the main focus would be on the networking and mutual learning of its participants. The working presupposition was that the crowd will always be smarter than any one speaker. Therefore, our goal was to create a platform where we could leverage the wisdom of the crowd through intentional interaction.
High hopes? Most definitely! Risky? Of course! Full of Potential? Absolutely!
With very little money in hand, I began to ask friends to participate in the formation of a movement of idea-makers. To my surprise (quite honestly, shock!), many began to jump on board with this crazy idea of hosting an Idea Camp together. As a result, thousands have been impacted and inspired to pursue their ideas with others. There have been countless stories of friendships birthed, projects shared, and ideas formed through our gatherings. For some, the Idea Camp has become a catalytic launching pad for their ideas!
Where is Idea Camp now?
The momentum of the Idea Camp has opened up doors for us to host conferences in other parts of the country. Our next Idea Camp will be in Washington DC (Aug 28-29) with a focus on compassion/justice and then in Portland, Oregon (Nov 11) where we will focus on the Church regaining credibility in the city. In addition to these Idea Camps, our hope is that we could also partner with existing conferences to provide a unique platform for idea engagement. We don’t exist to compete with other conferences, but rather, to compliment and support.
As we expand, we are working hard to create resources for the local church that would help its professionals better integrate their faith with Kingdom purposes. Our hope is that a movement that focuses on the overall Kingdom will yield amazing results that will tangibly impact the world.
An Invitation for YOU…
We hope to keep all of our Idea Camps FREE for the participants. We’ve worked hard to keep expenses down by using technology to maximize our investment from sponsors. As long as there exists support from our friends, we will keep this conference free.
Some of you have asked how you or your business/organization could support the Idea Camp. 🙂 First of all, it means the world to us that you would ask! Secondly, it shows that you have been positively impacted by our efforts. You have no idea how this humbles us and inspires us to keep doing what we’ve started.
Here are some ways you and others may help:
- Pay What You Want Option – Our Idea Camps will continue to be free for anyone who desires to participate. In addition, if anyone would like to support the Idea Camp, we will welcome tax-deductible donations (see below for contact).
- Become a Sponsor – For those who would like formal partnering opportunities with the Idea Camp, please take a moment to review the Sponsor’s Guide we created by clicking: idea-camp-sponsors-guide-june-09 (Also see one-page conference synopsis for the Idea Camp DC here – the-idea-camp-dc-synopsis)
- Help Us Get the Word Out – Please help us get the word out via your channels of influence (e.g., blog, facebook, twitter, speaking opportunities, etc.). You are our greatest advertisers because you embody the values of the Idea Camp.
- Pray for Us – This is definitely the most important way you could support us! We believe that this must be a conference led and formed by God’s Spirit. Our gatherings would mean little without his presence and guidance. Please continue to pray for us.
For those who would like to send support, you may send your tax-deductible donations payable to Xealot (with the memo Idea Camp) at:
The Idea Camp / Xealot
Attn: Abe Lim
18842 Teller Ave
Irvine, CA 92612
* We are currently working to set up an online giving option. In the meantime, you may send donations via check or paypal by using their check option.
There’s no doubt that something amazing is forming through the Idea Camp. We would love nothing less than to have the privilege of doing this together with you! We look forward to hearing from you.